- Case Studies
LG Electronics' vision is to grow into a leading environmentally conscious company by working to protect the global environment and creating products with environmentally friendly features. We first announced our environmental policies in 1994. We have also developed activities to minimize environmental burdens associated with our operations. LG Electronics' environmental strategies are being implemented across the entire value chain. We are especially focused on issues related to green product features, climate change, and recycling.
LGE’s Environmental Policy
Our environmental strategy is a multi-pronged initiative that includes:
1. Voluntarily working to exceed the requirements of international treaties, international standards, and national laws related to the environment.
2. Implementing greenhouse gas emissions reduction strategies and targets, and sharing these results with stakeholders.
3. Garnering insight from and cooperating with vendors, customers, and environmental organizations.
4. Establishing and continuously examining our environmental management systems for all aspects of our operations, including the supply chain.
5. Recognizing the environmental issues related to each stage of a product's life cycle, from design to disposal, and developing measures to address those issues.
6. Training and educating our employees and the larger community to increase awareness of the environmental issues facing the world today.
Proclamation Greenhouse Gas Emission Reduction Targets
LG Electronics has voluntarily established greenhouse gas emissions reduction targets and is carrying out various initiatives to achieve these targets in an effort to help mitigate climate change. By 2020, we plan to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 150,000 tons during the product manufacturing stage and by 30,000,000 tons during the product usage stage.
We established and completed a greenhouse gas inventory for all of our facilities in Korea as the first step to achieving these targets. By the end of 2009, we plan to complete a greenhouse gas inventory in thirty-two overseas facilities. A Green IT system will also be utilized to manage greenhouse gas emissions. Moreover, we plan to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by optimizing and increasing the efficiency of production. We also plan to minimize greenhouse gas emissions at the product usage stage by enhancing energy efficiency in our major products by about 15% by 2012 compared to that of 2007.
LG Electronics established an Eco Design Committee to discuss ways to increase and improve LG's green strategies. The CTO chairs the committee and chiefs of the research and development centers for each product are appointed as<